7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 1 2 3 4
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ross park is getting busy so...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiya79

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: new land Reply with quote

I was just throwing sacajawea out there in general. I really am not that familiar with it.

I floated the idea of expanding into the wood strip at ross park last year. no one even responded. I was surprised, and dropped it. there are some cool placements back there for sure.

Is anyone interested in going out to 8 and putting in an alt placement in the rocks today? I'll head out about noon and get there at 12:30.

the picnic tables constantly move. parks is slowly cementing them down, should be OK in 10 years.

Lower ross park is probably out of the question for a perm course. It is very very busy and is the 'showcase' park for pocatello. it would probably be bad for the sport to have children killed by discs. unless you know some placements I havvn't considered.
mook

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my 3 cents (I get 3 cause I'm bigger). North city park is a dump, right next to a trailer park (not that theres anything wrong with that), and is under water sometimes up to 7 feet after the snow melts.

Edson Fitcher (Sacajawea) area is OK, but you would still be playing in the weeds and you would have to put all the basket right next to the river to make it remotely appealing to the disc golfer. There are no elevation changes.

Sister City park has great potential due to OB, elevation changes, mature trees, 90% of the park is not utitlized, and it has great potential for expansion into the jogging area. In fact, the city already has water lines running through the sagebush area so how hard would it be to put grass there. It would be a great park for the city to enlarge. Imagine throwing from the top of the park to the lower area on one hole...with grass. Makes my mouth water. Yes, as I said before, the design would need to be improved. We can't have discs going in private property. I have got today and tomorrow and Friday and Saturday off. Anybody want to head up there and take a look?

Also, Lance, I would like to get together and figure out the alternate pin placements at Ross. Honestly, I think we have a good grasp on 1,2,3,4,7, and 9. Holes 5 and 6 I have no idea. Hole #8.......I have to be honest....on the cliff doesn't sit well with me and I don't know how it could with the city either. There is no fairway, you have to walk all the way around to get to the basket, and there is a 50 foot drop on one side and a 20 foot drop on the other. I can just see our course going bye bye altogether when someone gets hurt up there. I know that people climb up there already, but thats not because of disc golf. As a disc golfer, I don't see any enjoyment in that hole.

I'll tell what. I will be out there tonight at 7:00. If anybody wants to come and help with some alt tee pad ideas, that would be great. I can even pull out the baskets if you really want to see what its like.

Sorry about the long post. Also, I will stop spraying the alt tee pads. I was there this morning and saw disc golfers playing the alt tee pads used for league. I will just bring some flags on Wednesdays and mark them that way.
fiya79

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: alt pins Reply with quote

alt pin ideas are painted in now. let's geet some feedback.

hole 8 is moved already. I plan to spend smoe time out there and observe people playing it and see how they react and how they get up and down. if it looks bad we'll move it again. no big deal. it doesn't seem dangerous where it is now. for small childern....I would hesitate.

hloe 1 alt could also serve as hole 4 alt it is just deeper

hole 2- deeper behind pine tree

hole3 - downhill and deeper under willow

hole 4- deeper and right, betwen pine and road.

hole 5 window shot much more right and shallower

hole 6- deeper and way right on the edge of the drop.

hole 7- way deeper, straight through the tunnel down the path (possibly deeper right as well)

hole 8- brandon's bane

hole 9- deep right.

comments welcome. nothing is in stone yet...wait maybe some of it is....
fiya79

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: more holes Reply with quote

caleb and I walked the trees/scrub area between upper and lower. there are probably 3 good holes there. Is the club interested in trying some holes there since we do have extra baskets laying around for now? I have some chain and locks. pads are already decent.

mandatory tomahawk anyone?
ThievingMagpie

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: ross park is getting busy so... Reply with quote

Let me be the first to go on record that I'm intersted in baskets in the scrub. Playing thru dense woods is a whole new kind of game.

...and sorry, but I think your alternate 8 on the hill is a krazy drunken flip flop wearin' frat boy killer.
fiya79

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: maybe. Reply with quote

I think I said that if hole 8 doesn't work out it is super easy to remove. I think just a few days will tell. Thankfully there is no concrete. I am going out tonight to watch for a while, and see how many people look totally incapable of making it up there.

I may even move some other baskets for a while tonight if anyone is interested.
tkase

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Ross Park 8 Reply with quote

The placement on 8 is a goofy but fun one. First time today I got a 6 after rolling off of the rocks twice. Second time, with a good drive, I still got a 4. Definitely makes thing interesting. I didn't think about the amount of seemingly out of shape folks out there that will not be rock climbing.
mook

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These pin placements are not what I anticipated. If it would be ok with Lance I would like to put them in my recommended placements tomorrow. I will have them ready for a noon round if anyone is interested.

Here is my opinion on the ones tonight.

Hole #1: Same hole just 50 feet longer. Did not affect the way I throw that hole. I just took out a driver instead of a mid range.
Hole #2: Good idea, not longer enough.
Hole #3: Great!
Hole #4: OK, makes the hole a definite forearm hole. No practical options for backhand shots.
Hole #5. Too dangerous and not all that exciting. The group ahead of us actually hit a travelling car. You don't have to throw that hole very hard to go into a busy street.
Hole #6. OK.
Hole #7. Good idea, but I think a little bit of brush clearing would make it more practical. I like your original idea of just making it much deeper in the woods.
Hole #8. You know what I thought about this one. Then I played it.....and now I believe it even more. Very dangerous hole. One slip by a kid or false move by a player and our course is history.
Hole #9. Right idea but too close to the fence. There will be discs in the zoo there that won't be retrievable unless you want to pay to get in.
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think this course is ever going to be more than a beginner course no matter where the alt pins placements are. that being said...i'll go at noon. i haven't played since last wednesday

-james
fiya79

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: I am falling out of love Reply with quote

As many people anticipated I didn't see ANYONE walk around hole 8 to get up. every group I saw sent up one guy and took the gimmie.

I think it is a good location for a harder course, but one of the bigger problems I saw was speed fo play. on an already crowded course the extra stroke took some groups forever.

I think 8 need a different alternative. the suggestion was made to put it deeper in the alley or way way right , close to hole 7 alt.

suggestions still welcome.

responses to brandon:

if hole 1 gets deeper it becomes hole 4
hole 2 can't go into the volleyball/pavillion area
hole 3-ok
hole 4-ok
hole 5- how did they get to a car? did it go through a tree? any alternatives?
hole6-ok
hole7- brush clearing for sure. it needs a makable path. 2 alts would be sweet
hole 8- I hear ya
hole 9- for a drive to go over the fence would be a crazy long drive considering the ceiling. but I'm reluctant to tuck it in closer to the brush because of the path that comes up right there. maybe something between the two.
mook

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can find a happy medium here. I won't put up a big fuss with alot of placements. We played my layout today and the big arguement (from Caleb) is that all but 2 of the holes are forearm shots, even though the four times I played it, each group went half backhand half forehand on most of the holes.

Heres my conclusion and I will leave it in the city's hands from here.

Hole #1: Not deeper, but farther right, almost right on the stump where a tree used to be.
Hole #2: 150 feet farther and left. There is a perfect fairway there in between the volleyball court and hole #3 tee pad. The shorter Lancier version will work as well.
Hole #3: Love it. We did have another car hit on that hole, but it was from Caleb. We know he can't control discs as well as others.
Hole #4: OK, but would like to see it 20 feet right so you can see it through the gap in the pine trees. Midway between my placement and Lance's.
Hole #5: Hole #10 at Walcott where the path and the road V's. So this would be left of the walking path just right and 10 feet behind small tree.
Hole #6: OK, would like it down the hill a bit more. Halfway between mine and Lance's.
Hole #7. Lance's placement is good. We just need to clear the area a bit so we have more of a putting option if we are not right on the path.
Hole #8: In the gap behind the island of trees. Makes this hole easier, but it offsets making the other holes harder.
Hole #9: Just 20-30 back from the fence.

Let's get some cement and start putting them in.
staatsy

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Let's do it to it Reply with quote

Sounds great! I can volunteer some lunch hours to help out and have afternoons off on Fridays, if'n you'd like some help with the installs, Lance/Mook.

Maybe this is out of the question, but has the club/ISU ever considered alt pin locations at Bengal Ridge?
novosel14

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Caleb, all but 2 of the holes are forearm shots. As a new player I am now just starting to try the forearm shot.
novosel14

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But dont get me wrong I love the challenge.
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: good to see so many opinions Reply with quote

Poke around on the PDGA discussion board in course design. There are obviously 100 ways to look at each hole and design.
Even different regions have different tendencies.
Ross park is a fun course and will only get better with more pin placements.

I have a scout troop on deck to do some of the work, if only they call back. I told them it HAD to be done in May.

If I don't hear from them in a week we'll bust it out as a club one evening. It goes pretty quick. a cement truck would make it SUPER fast.

still taking applications for hole 8

more feedback responses.

hole 1- I do like the variety it might add..

hole 2- probably not going to be put way back there. it is out of character for the course, easy to imagine conflict with other park users, and I don't have that shot.

hole 3- ok but we HAVE to call the tree gap drive "kerry's hole" and you have to call it for it to count: "im going to put my disc through kerry's hole and hope for the best.

hole 4- any further right and people are going to try for the hyzer around/between the pines and I see the memorial coming into play more. I very reluctant to tangle with those guys. they tend to own guns.

hole 5- when i put it there I just couldn't see people going in the road. i guess I was underestimating the incompetence of drunk frat boys.

I like hole 6 on the grass because it makes all of the putts more interesting. if you land on the grass left (between the basket and the road) you are facing a big rollaway if you miss. if you land downhill you ar facing a nice uphill putt, and again a rollaway. If the basket is downhill you just have to throw somewhere down there to face a reasonably easy 2 and a certain 3. the odds of a 4 from a decent drive are minimalized.

The one reason i would shy away from making hole 7 deeper right is that it would detract from the risk of firing a putt at it from uphill and blowing past into the woods. if there was a path back up then it wouldn't be so risky.

hole 8- ????????????????????????

hole 9- compromise position, I think. far enough away from the fence and path exit, but still right and possibly blind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: