7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ross park is getting busy so...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiya79

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: ross park is getting busy so... Reply with quote

Since ross park is totally over run these days the city is looking at some options. The grass around each pin is getting destroyed and there are extremely large groups whenever the weather is good.

1) alternate pin locations- this is already approved 95% would help the grass, not the crowding.

2) another 9 hole course somewhere else in the city that is not as difficult a bengal ridge. I think people don't play beganl becase it is physically demanding, and takes forever, and eats lost discs.

where would the club reccommend another 9 holer be built to relieve overcrowding? (mink creek is out as few casual groups would trek out there in all probability).

Is this the club reccommendation?

any other thoughts?
novosel14

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe up at sister city park?
staatsy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Sister City Park / Highland Area Reply with quote

I agree with the Sister City Park suggestion (not just because I live in the area...). Or how about somewhere in the Highland area...around the Fairgrounds? It's wide open out there, but I don't know who owns the land.

Any land further south, towards Century HS? Coming from town, if you drove by Ross and it looked crowded, you could just keep rolling south.

What about Chubbuck?
fiya79

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: no chubbuck Reply with quote

chubbuck doesn't have any suitable land. the club has tried there once before I think. the one piece that was big enough is now softball fields.

sister city seems good. maybe we could hold a temp course there a few times??

brandon?? you know about this stuff. anyone else?
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when we first began the discussion of location for a 9 hole course in town, I expressed a loud vote for Sister City. As I recall, if Ross Park couldn't happen, we were going to recommend Sister City. The non-disc golf traffic would be minimal at best, and the shelter is only in use on the weekends. This is kind of the park everyone in the city forgets about until they need it, so why not put a second 9 hole up there?

Austin
mook

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister City definately has the most potential. The club and I have held I think 3 events there with a temp course. The design would definately need to be tweaked because it come too close to the residents there. I would be willing to look at putting a course there,but to make it feasable, there would need to be 2-3 holes in the non grass area. Anyone want to head up there with me and check it out?
mook

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along these lines, we need to finish up Ross Park ASAP. We need to go out and finalize alt pads so we can put up tee signs. Also, I want to make a rules of disc golf mostly for courtesy that explains there probably should not be groups more than five at a time to help flow. Also, make it very clear that littering is not tolerated. I am very concerned about the image the our fellow disc golfers are leaving upon the city.

This is part of my agenda this year. The only thing I don't know how to do is complete the tee signs. I am not sure who was doing the design on the signs to begin with. Maybe someone can enlighten me on this? I am available next Friday and Saturday if we want to go out and make a decision on the alternate tee pads, and maybe head up to Sister City.

The other concern I had was the alt tee placements for league. It looks like other disc golfers have caught on to the concept and are wearing down the grass there too. Maybe I can find some alt form of marking the tees so that we only throw from those spots during league. Any ideas?
fiya79

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: ross park first Reply with quote

yup, let's get ross all buttoned up first. alt tees, signs ahouldn't be super hard.
fiya79

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: signs Reply with quote

mindy would probably do the signs if we ask nicely.

I have no idea about the alt pads. i think they are getting worn because mark pakys them so much.

Maybe we could make boring or easy or dumb.
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a little confused aobut ross park. Are they going to be alternat pin placements or alternate tee pads?

I think a complete redesign would be necessary for Sister City. They have a new "Big Toy" in the same spot as the last one but nicer. Last Saturday there were a bunch of people there but they were all at the gazebo and play area. So if we could design it without intefering there that would be nice. We will definately need the sagebrush area to get a full nine in.

Lance is there any land available that we may not know about. We have tried most of the little parks, thanks to Brandon, and of those Sister City is the most feasable. There may be an area we haven't even thought of.

Later

Caleb Wolfe
fiya79

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: I'll check. Reply with quote

The only thing that comes to mind is north city park, and edson fichter nature area. Although the cemetery would make a sweet 18.....nice fairways, mature trees, no rollers......or the zoo-talk about OB.

even the larger parks like ammon seem too small. I'll ask the boss if we have anything over 15 acres that is underutilized.

north city park is now called sacajawea, I think. it is on the west side of the river between carson and kraft road. there is some sort of 'urban wetland' there too. I'd have to look in person, it mat be super junky or riddled in greenway trails by now.

as far as ross park we are approved for alt pin locations. Most are pretty obvious, there's not a ton of room to swap around.

Earlier I think Brandon was referencing the 'temp' league alt tees as being heavily used. They are going to be permanent dirt patches by the end of summer.

they will have to:
rotate or
be bricked or
go away or
somehow be played only occasionally, and not leave marks behind.

I'm just hesitant/opposed to suggest bricking them in for 18 holes because they are not beginner friendly. the road plays a lot more. plus when it is crowded the crossfire would be deadly.

[/list]
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance,

Is there any chance of a lower ross park course, or does it still have to many people?

For league we should move the baskets to the alternate positions and play the course. After we played each hole we could take a second and move it to a different location. Just a thought.

I still have no idea where the alternate placements are goiong to be, so I think it would be interestion. We could at least spray a dot and practice throwing to that area.

Later,

Caleb Wolfe
ThievingMagpie

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: ross park is getting busy so... Reply with quote

my 2 cents...

In addition to alt pin placements. I'd love to see Ross expand into the hill/woods between the upper & lower sections of the park, maybe add 4-5 more holes? This increased traffic would probably help cut down other activity that goes on in there (sorry Lance, I know you'd miss it). You could shoot from 9 towards the woods, then head back down towards hole 6.

Sacajawea (sp?) would be good too. That definitely seems like an underutilized park. There's plenty of trees & water hazards. Anyway we could incorporate that greenbelt? Or is it too close to some residences. Is the park considered protected wetlands?

Sister Cities. Are we talking down in the sagebrush by the fitness trail? Or up in the greener area? or a mix? Seems like runners + flying discs = danger.
novosel14

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see a prolem with runners. There are tons of people a ross that arent playing all the time.
tkase

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Picnic Tables Reply with quote

It seems like alot of the times, just moving the picnic tables a little bit would help out. #9 often has families at tables that are well within my margin of error. I imagine that alternate pads would help out a bunch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: