7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two New Courses
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mook

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Two New Courses Reply with quote

I went on a little drive to Massacre Rocks last week and found the land we are allowed to put the course on. Its next to the river but high above it. There are great elevation changes with a mixture of rocks and junipers. Tons of potential for great holes!

Also, I talked to a gentlemen named Mark who I am not sure his official title in Lava Hot Springs but wants to put in an 18 hole course in the parks area east and west of the Olympic Swimming Pool. We will learn a ton more about it here shortly but they came to us sooooo it sounds promising! He wants some "professional help" on an 18 hole layout. We will be going down to Lava this Wednesday (March 12th) in the late afternoon to overview a general flow and he also invited us for some free hot tubbing. Anyone who would like to join me on Wednesday and encouraged to come. I've got room for 8 in my Durango and we can just carpool down. Consider this our first official club outing this year!
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: sweet lava course Reply with quote

That sounds cool. I think I am avail wed. Mindy has a class at 6pm so we need more specific times. I know the area a bit and I think the area may be a little small for 18, but maybe it is bigger than I remember. if we can use the community center as an obstacle that might add to the fun. The water will be fun to plat with, good difficulty and pucker factor. BIG year for the club and disc golf in SE Idaho.
We will really have a bounty of courses compared to so many areas.

It is better here than SLC, boise, all of montana (sorry scott), wyoming......everywhere but the disc belt in the midwest probably.

I smell a disc golf marathon road trip coming!
ScottW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome to hear that the club is doing so much and has so much planned. I am a little jealous that this didn't start when I was down there Wink Congrats to the new board members and keep making DG in SE Idaho better. Sorry Lance, but you are wrong about the club being bigger or better than all of Montana. I won't speak for all clubs but it ain't bigger (or better) than GCF, it just ain't Very Happy Our club president stated at our last meeting that the Garden City Flyers Disc Golf Club is the largest per capita DG club in the nation. We had 100 active club members/bag-tag holders last year in our town of 60,000 - GCF rules, nice work on the PVDGC though, and keep an ear out for the growing North Idaho Recreators Disc Golf Club, we have tags, we just need some quality people to step up and help run it.
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Oh, I see Reply with quote

yup the MT club is thriving, I was just talking about courses. Within a 30 minute drive we have ross, bengal, am falls, blackfoot, soon to come: massacre, lava, mink creek.... Go out an hour to add I.F., walcott and soon soda springs? That is pretty darn good disc in a little clump. Especially since S.E. Idaho usually is so stingy and backwards.

My Brother lives in Phoenix and we have way better disc golf than him. It takes forever to get to courses and many are totally vandalized. Fountain hills is nice, but 90 minutes away from anywhere and really not that hard. I carded a near par score first round through. Although the water obstacles are nice.

Every hucker in UT conplains about the lack of DG courses. Creekside is fun, but crowded; a lot of courses are 45 minutes or more away.

All I'm saying is Pocatello throwers are very lucky, especially given the relatively small number of players.
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also am going to have to nay say Lances post...

it is awesome that this area is growing, but Nor Cal especially where i grew up destroys the number of courses here. just type in 95602, CA on the PDGA Course Directory. it will blow your mind.

anyways i am still amped on these new courses if they do actually get put in.

-james
mook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway....I don't think the area at Lava would be big enough for 18 holes either, but too big for just 9. So I was thinking a 12 hole course. Nice elevation changes, but it is a little baren when it comes to obstacles. It will be fun to see what we can do with it.

But I would have to agree with Lance that the growth is way exciting and it will only bring more and more players to the area. I have always loved both the Massacre Rocks area and Lava Hot Springs and would take some extra time to drive to either of them as long as the courses are worthy to play. I am most concerned about the layout because there is much potential at both locations.
fiya79

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: new courses Reply with quote

Sure, there are places with better, or more numerous courses. And apparently MT has a fine club. Since Scott is the top poster on 6 out of 7 club site forums I know of- it seems like he would know. James is from somewhere with 10 courses wihtin 30 miles, that's pretty sweet. There are almost 20 within 60 miles. Also sweet. But....This is Idaho. I have some stats to back up my seemingly proposterous claims. DG is 'new' and our population is 75% retarded and 23% redneck. Plus...I'm making all of this info up. Pocatello disc golf is 63% better than <insert where you are from> The numbers never lie. I may be a 723 rated player but I try 76% harder than you. Jenny's number is 8675309. If you average all of the hole lenghts from the A tees at bengal, do the same for the b tees, add the didgit and look up the numbers in the book of revelations you will find that the cahpter (a tees) and verse (b tees) says 6:6 "And I heard as it were a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying, A measure of wheat for a shilling, and three measures of barley for a shilling; and the oil and the wine hurt thou not.?
?And I heard as it were a voice in the midst of the four living creatures, saying: Two pounds of wheat for a penny, and thrice two pounds of barley for a penny, and see thou hurt not the wine and the oil.? GOD is hard to argue with.

Let me just lay it out here so it is clear what I WAS trying to say a few posts ago: "We will really have a bounty of courses compared to so many areas."

what I am trying to say NOW:
Wherever you are from- I mock your disc golf community, and courses.
In case you are still reading: I also mock your personal game as inferior in every way.
Still here?: <insert you favorite disc here> is a disc only a neanderthal would throw.
Why not finish it off: your mom is ugly.

So there.
I hope this is offensive enough to you all.
If anyone is not offended yet, you will be soon, just post something, anything.
I am the toughest cyber bully EVER to haunt a disc golf discussion board.
mook

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom can beat up your mom.
fiya79

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: way off topic Reply with quote

I've never been a wanker online before. Just thought I'd try it out. Seems to go pretty well for me. I think I found my calling.
fiya79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: wed trip? Reply with quote

what are the details. Who wants to go, how long should it take, where is the soaking, Mindy has a class at 6. I have morning meetings and work until at least 2.
mook

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are meeting at the Ross Park pavilion at 2:30pm tomorrow. Anyone who wants to come is invited to join up with us. It looks like just me n Lance right now. If there is a time constraint, we don't have to soak.
mook

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caleb, Lance, Wendell, and I went down to Lava Hot Springs today to get a good idea of what we can do with a course down there. We met up with Mark Lowe who is in charge of the Hot Springs and Pool area. They have some extreme upgrades they are implementing. They are going to put in waterslides over the road into the pool area.

Anyway, we decided with the land given that a 9 hole course would be the best way to go. Mark is willing and ready to go on this project. We told him how much it was going to cost to add the course and he didn't even blink. The course would wrap around the pool area and next to the highway and even a couple holes right next to the river. We threw 3 discs in the river today. Lance stripped down to his briefs to go get them. Thanks Lance!

There aren't too many trees here but we were more than happy with the rough draft that we came up with. The area used to be an old ball golf course and there are some very interesting gullies, slopes, blind shots, ob's, water hazards, and elevation opportunites to work with.

Here is an aerial view layout of the course
http://picasaweb.google.com/themook77/LavaHotSpringsDiscGolfCourse/photo#5177058806531056498

We are going to follow up with Mark next week.

Also, we are designating April 12th, 2008 as our 2nd official club outing. We will be heading to Massacre Rocks at 8:00am to get a good rough draft of the 18 hole course there. We will be returning around noon to 1:00pm. Anyone is welcome to come and help! Ask the boys who went out today, its pretty frick'n exciting to design disc golf holes!
mook

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark from Lava and I are getting together at 1:00pm tomorrow to walk through the initial design of the Lava Hot Springs course. I will be at Ross Park at 12:25pm tomorrow (Wednesday 03/19. If anyone wants to help out with the layout, meet me there at Ross Park and we can go up together. We are going to do a walk through of the course and he will tell us what we can and can't do and then we will do some more tweaking of the course. Even if you want to come and check out the design and throw some holes, you are welcome to come!
mook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that we are heading out the Massacre Rocks this Saturday! Come and help us out with some ideas for a professional disc golf course there! We will be leaving at Bengal Ridge Disc Golf Course at 8:00am and returning from 12:00 - 12:30pm. I have seats for 6 if anyone wants to park there and ride up with me. See you there!
ThievingMagpie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Two New Courses Reply with quote

How'd the Massacre Rocks trip go on Saturday?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Courses All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: