5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

disc golf psyche games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiya79

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: disc golf psyche games Reply with quote

casey wrote :

1st of all, taking disc golf advice from me is like taking musical advice from Paris Hilton or financial advice from Gary Coleman. Anyone who wishes to improve the status of their game take heed, lest ye fall down to Scrubby McScrubsville status.

2nd of all, having played discgolf unsuccessfully for 2 years AND completing 4 years of doctoral studies in clinical psychology without obtaining a degree, I?m at least as qualified to give advice as Dr. Laura Schlessinger (who's doctorate is in physiology) and Dr. Phil (who lost his license in Texas due to hiring a former client and allegations of sexual misconduct with her).

3rd all facts, figure, opinions on this page are subjective and have not been researched or verified (aside from the credentials of Laura & Phil). This is the internet. There's no Michael J. Fox proof reading my work in between cocaine binges and nights spent dancing in the Bright Lights Big City of 1980's New York.

4th if you're still reading this far, you're doomed. You may never be able to chuck a disc out of the woods, your drives may eat dirt, and your puts may hit the side of the basket and roll 80 feet.

Finally, my topic: Sports Psuedo-psychology
Having played some awefully bad game last night, I got lost in a depressive trance. I wondered about my remarkable ability to hit every tree before me, while attempting to get the frisbee thingy to go in the basket thingy instead. If you think about the physics of Ross Park, most of the space is empty space, not tree filled space. The trees aren't moving like electrons around a nucleus. This movement gives solid matter the illusion of being solid. If you imagined an atom to be the size of Holt arena, the nucleus would be a basketball at center court and the electron would be a ping-pong ball flying around really fast in the nosebleed seats. lots of space. Anyway, the trees pretty much stay where they are, except for that one that disappeared last year.

So my mental plan of action is to focus on the space and ignore the trees, imagine the line of flight I want my saucer to take and let her rip. I seem to remember something in school about our brains drawing your focus to objects, rather than emptiness, so our brains are wired to work against us. I promise to possibly post results of this experiment at some time in the future. Maybe.

5th We don't have a Karate Kid of discgolf but we need to stick it to Cobra Kahn!!! I elect Lance for giving the Boise boys a crane kick to the head last week.

6th the only way to throw is right-hand back-hand. Any other kind of throw is for sissies & commies. I don't care if you?re left handed (if that's what you're calling yourself these days).
fiya79

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Scott adams believes... Reply with quote

the dilbert writer has some crazy beliefs about the power of positive thinking. he believes thought can create reality, not just interpret it. he think is you want something, and ask the universe for it and work toward it you are basically unlimited in what you can have. he wrote "I will be the a sucessful comic strip author" every day for some months, then started making bank.

I think he wrote all about it in the last chapter of the dilbert principle.

If I think a putt has no chance, it doesn't.

See the fairway, not the trees

don't think of potential mistakes, see you disc on a string tied to the basket, speeding at it.
fiya79

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: more dilbert info Reply with quote

Scott Adams was a cartoonist enjoying modest success when in 1988 he put a new technique to the test. The technique was Positive Affirmation. Like you may be now, he was initially cynical but his inquiring mind decided to give it a try. He used the idea a few times, all succesfully and then came the big one. He wrote down that he wanted to become

"a famous syndicated cartoon artist"

Anybody familiar with Dilbert knows that Scott did truly become a "famous syndicated carton artist"

Scott wanted to go further and so his next goal was to become:

"the most succesful comic artist in the world"

In June 1996 The Dilbert Principle hit the number one slot on the Hardcover Non - Fiction list of the New York Times. It stayed in the top three all summer and by November, Scott Adams had the top two slots when Dogberts Top Secret Management Handbook was a sell out success.

By most peoples definition, he was at least for a short period "the most succesfull comic artist in the world".

How did he use Positive Affirmation to achieve these goals?
The answer is simple: He wrote his goal down in a notebook 15 times each day. Within weeks things started to happen that would lead to the succesful achievement of the goal.

Scott has also used the technique to increase his GMAT (MBA Entrance Exam) from the 73rd Percentile to the 94th Percentile.

A Google search of "Scott Adams" and "Positive Affirmation" delivers about 20 results with even more high profile examples of how this technique can be used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: