9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 1 2 3 4 5 6
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISU Disc Golf Club & Bengal Ridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkase

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: ISU Disc Golf Club & Bengal Ridge Reply with quote

I think that there is a big long-term issue that needs to be addressed. Bengal Ridge currently seems to have good support from ISU. However, if some official from ISU were to come along and see other uses for that land and then attempt to see the current benefit for students, it would not be a good situation.

In the interest of long-term ISU support, we probably need to be making more of an attempt to have organized ISU support such as a recognized club. There are certainly many ISU students that play there, but tracking those numbers without a club would be difficult. Also, ISU Disc Golf Club members are then eligible for ASISU funds for things like going to tournaments.

To get the Disc Golf Club started sgain, 12 current ISU students would need to sign up and elect leadership. They would also need an advisor from faculty or staff. Any one of us that work at ISU can act as an advisor. Since the club was once on campus, most of the paperwork (constitution and by-laws would still be on file).

Just with people in the PVDGC, there are some students, with the Disc Golf Class, there are more. It would be easy to get the 12 needed.

Any thoughts on this?

Troy
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago, I went to then AD Paul Bubb to see about this exact issue. I was told that the disc golf scene was part of the ultimate frisbee club and that I need not bother with a disc golf club. Although the university owns the disc golf course, the athletic department seems to have little to no interest in it. Along with this observation comes a great deal of sarcasm and general rudeness from me, and I will gladly discuss this with any interested party, but sarcasm doesn't work online very well.

The bottom line is that the university still does not se disc golf as an integral part of the university. Compound that with the fact that the state legislature is cutting funding and denying payrolls left and right, and the possibility of a campus club with ASISU support seems feeble at best.

Not to dash your hopes of this coming to fruition someday, but right now, you could be in for an uphil battle.

Austin
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: disc club Reply with quote

I may be wrong here but... i believe ASISU money has nothing to do with the legislature and state funding. Club funds are fee money, divided up by the student senate. there are far more banal things that get funds than the disc golf community.
Again, I could be wrong but Bubb and athletics have no say in the matter. Many administrators will poo poo anything that makes them work. But I don't think anyone in the AD has any real say.

That being said..I can hardly think of a use for that land besides disc golf. It has to be the worst football practice field ever.

And finally, Mindy and I are both current students so count us 2 if necessary. I'm all about getting somke money back out of that place. I'm 20 grand in the hole there.
tkase

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Disc Golf Club Reply with quote

Fortunately, the Disc Golf Club does not need the support of athletics and your assumption that it won't get their support is correct. "Club" is the keyword. It would be and was entirley separate from Athletics. The Rugby team and Rodeo team are actually clubs and get all of their support from ASISU. ASISU is completely student fee funded and, unless student enrollment goes down, will continue to get the same amount or more. ASISU controls over $1 million. I have to come clean here and admit that I coordinated the student organizations at ISU for two years during graduate school.

I hope that I don't sound argumentative here because I agree with a lot that you said. However, there is a way to create a vested interest. The Athletic Department probably had no clue what they were talking about when they said that the Disc Golf Club was with the Ultimate Club. The beauty of clubs is that students have total control over their own club. It is students that we need to talk to not the administration. The Rugby Team and Rodeo are perfect examples of clubs that are now fairly important to ISU.

ISU really does have a cool system with how much control that they let the students have within ASISU. The Program Board alone has over $500,000 that is student controlled.
tkase

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Disc Golf Club Reply with quote

I just read Lance's post. So we are only 10 away from a recognized club. I'll bet there are that many just in PVDGC. I'll get a copy of the old constitution and by-laws tomorrow. It'll be a day or two before I can respond though.
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think i have time to be an elected official for this club or anything but i am a student and i know at least 12 track/ x-country guys that play. so if we need to do a petition with bengal card numbers or something i could definitely get some people

-james
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Open All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: