7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

creekside open

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Let's Get Together
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiya79

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: creekside open Reply with quote

mindy and I just registered for creekside open. I see Austin and Kerry are registered. I think we plan to go down Friday and play a practice round or two. We are taking baby kaya, grandma, Kerry and us, so maybe two vehicles. If we take two and anyone wants a ride let us know. Also if anyone else wants to use this thread to carpool down, post away.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely be interested in bumming a ride off you guys if it's available. If you guys will be at the Blackfoot tourney at the end of March, we can iron out the details there. If not, I'll try to get ahold of you some other way. Let me know. I'll talk to you soon.

Austin
pettaust@isu.edu
fiya79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: No Problem Reply with quote

We'd be happy to have you Austin. If we take two vehicles you are welcome to hop in one.

I have to assume Brandon is going down, and maybe another person or two like casey or brad or caleb or....
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, itt's llokin like I will not be leaving until the butt crack of dawn on Saturday the 19th for the Creekside. So, my seat on Friday is going to be vacant. Thanks anyway
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as the stars line up correctly, it turns out that I will be in SLC on the Friday before the Creekside (18th). IF anyone is interested in playing a round (perhaps with some coin on the line), meet me at the Creekside 1 tee at 5:00pm on Friday the 18th. We should be able to get moving before the random draw doubles start at 5:30pm. See ya soon.

Austin
fiya79

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: poky at creekside Reply with quote

It was my first creekside open. It was an experience. I am always just shocked upon leaving nice little pocatello to find---- how dirtbag disc golfers are. the course reeked of pot continuously, the language was ridiculous...and this included the women.
to top it off, The wind was horrendous, think blackfoot monthly, for 84 holes. It was cold and hard to play. I found out my bag is not stocked for windy days since I throw a lot of mid weights and large diameter midranges. Fortunately I took my 175 excal, which worked awesome.
the results are on pdga now. the intermediate 1-2-3 went 1-2-3 at the vegas B tier. sand baggers. the winner in intermediate would have won advanced, or taken 8th in open.

I was kind of dissapointed with the level of play in general. No one seemed to know the rules or be willing to call anyone out on infractions. 2-minute violations, falling putts, language, alcohol, drugs, no minis, not holing out, playing the wrong pads, taking drop zones when discs weren't lost, not counting penaties for water (floating down the creek kind of water), generous foot placement to stretch a straddle putt, talking loudly while others tee, calling out wrong scores...the list goes on. the one time I saw a guy call a falling putt on another (I missed the play because it was actually my turn to putt) a near fist fight broke out.
One dude got in a thick bit of brush due to a bad tomahawk and totally hacked his way out. i counted his strokes because it didn't seem like he was. I got 9, he carded a 5. my count was without his falling putt and 2 bad foot placements. Another fight about broke out about his ridiculous foot placements. no penalty was issued. the int winner took 2 putts and a roller well after the 2 minute warning. he actually retrieved his discs after the horn and took more shots. I didn't call him on it because he looked pretty terrible and didn;t look fit enough to play 80 holes, turns out I should have hit him with a few strokes.
baiscally I felt like I was palying with a different rule book, which makes it hard.
The top pros were all decent folks but the rank intermediated and some advanced made the sport look terrible and made the tourney a lot less fun than it should have been.
tournament organization: b
Rules situation: f
fellow players: d
course: B (dangerous as always, and confusing)
overall grade: c-
ScottW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's unfortunate that it is still like that at Creekside. It's a great course but just a horrible place for disc golf tourneys. I played there 2 years ago and felt the same way. Beer all over the place a smokey haze pretty much everywhere. I played with one guy for 2 rounds who pretty much smoked himself retarded for the tourney. I am not sure why he wasted his money on disc golf if that was his main goal, he was not a good player either. I saw his name on the list of players for this year too Mad I saw that you beat him soundly. It looks like you had a couple decent rounds there. It's too bad that Creekside is kind of a bush league tourney that seems to bring out the worst disc golfers. It makes you look forward to, and enjoy, the better run tourneys locally. Most of the rules violations I see in tourneys now are common practice at Creekside, stuff that is usually insignificant enough to call unless it's done consistently, which it usually is there. Oh well, what can you do about it Question It's certainly not worth getting in a fight over, though it would probably be worth getting your money back and leaving the tourney. I saw Kris Zahm from Boise who is rated at 898 played Open and did pretty well, not exactly sure how an Intermediate rated player does that well in Open in a B-tier Rolling Eyes Good for him though. Looks like you (Lance) and Kerry played pretty well though, nice work.
fiya79

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: pocatello events. Reply with quote

going to creekside just made me want to play more local events where the people are nicer, cleaner and more fun. I miss the lake walcott open already.

I don't expect disneyland squeaky clean, but I don't want to feel like I just visited a homeless shelter for the mentally deranged either. to be a jerk- I felt like i was slumming it for the weekend.

I did not play well the first round. I tend to be a lofty putter which does not work well in the wind and it took me a long time to adapt to laying up and taking my 3. I was also a little shocked at how poor the courtesy was. I was 1 stroke from the bottom card and had to stage a big rally to get off the bottom. after I adapted my putt I played OK. I had a ton of bird putts that I just did not give enough umph to- for fear of a comeback putt of more than 10 feet. It was frustrating to drive half the holes inside the circle and card 1 bird. I need to learn to putt. I had 6 putts from inside 12 feet blow out, one rolled over 50 feet away.

Mindy played up and down. she beat a few open women on some rounds but needs to add some heavier discs for windy days and work on upshots (me too). She probably had the best putt of the women (better than me too). she has also added some distance lately and drove well for having a bag full of 147 discs. She adopted a 'heavy' disc for the weekend- 161 wraith- and threw it really well, especially for not having thrown it before.

on another note my piggy 175 excaliber was the magic ticket for me and saved my bacon a ton of times.. headwind---no problem. forehand----check. giant skip shot----- more please. It was sweet, but still not long, 300' max. But that is fine for creekside.

I have been steadily adding distance to my game this year but it didn't seem to help much at creekside. most of the holes were inside 320. The longer holes I drove but couldn't convert anyways so I took the same 3 as the people that had a 200' upshot. I over dorve a 420 foot hole and could not get in the stupid hole on the comeback. very frustrating. another time the guy with the caddy card told me the wrong pin location/distance and I launched a 380' drive at a 340' hole. I guess I should have checked myself. again, frustrating. I had a 15' bird putt after hitting 2 gapsfor a 360' hyzer drive....clang. super frustrating.

Kerry made me throw off a hill for max d after the last round. I lost my champ wraith. I think it was a conspiracy. If you can't beat em, empty their bag.

I won a champ orc, a DX condor?, 2 old shirts (creekside 2000!) and a lift ride to disc golf at solitude. supposed value....$50. those must be collector shirts.

third place advanced won 2 lift tickets (summer only? I'm not sure) and a $20 gift certificate to play-it-again. he was pissed.

women's open paid all 4 places from $200-$70 $70 for last place is pretty good. Mindy won '$25' in merch but since 3 of 4 open opted not to cash they split a pile of women's merch and all the clothes fit mindy so she walked away with quite a stash. It was odd. the TD showed the women a pile of stuff and basically said "go for it". split it up how you want.
Wazowski08

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I agree with Lance completely on this one. First of all, I played like crap. If you look at the bottome of the advanced guys, you'll find my name just above. But even if I was playing well, I still would have been pissed.

Courtesy must be a four letter word in Utah, because guys would walk in front of you while you putt, talk to each other while you drive, take obsene amounts of time to take their shots.

Besides the players being nasty, the tourney itself was run worse than any tourney I have ever been to. Every round started late, not because of weather. Saturday morning, there was a marathon that loo[ed around the course, closing the roads such that you could only get to the park by way of a huge detour. Sunday morning, we were supposed to have a players meeting at 7:30, and begin play at 8. At 7:55, the TD finally showed up so they could start organizing cards. We didn't start until 8:30ish. The final round was supposed to commence at 12:45, and the TD got back from lunch closer to 1.

And then, after the time flubs, came the issue of overcrowding. There were over 100 people on 21 holes at Creekside. If you've ever played that course, you know that back to back 5somes get crowded. I had to throw over groups on several occasions.

To sum up the tourney, I'll give you this anecdote of my experience: On the second to last hole of the third round, We were playin hole 8. This hole has water on the right and the basket was positioned three feet from the edge of the water. Well, sure enough, this kid I was grouped with hucked his second shot into the water about 15 feet from the chains. So this kid gets his spot in an akward stance and makes a killer putt to save circle 4. But after his disc came to rest in the catching tray, it fell through the tray and out of the basket. As in thru the bottom. The kid then putted out for a five. We asked the TD about it, and because of their shotty equipment, this kid had to card an extra stroke.

Overall, I'd give the tourney a big fat D-. I will NOT be going back to that tourney and I would encourage anyone interested in it next year to do the same.

Austin Pettit
fiya79

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: dang Reply with quote

I was hoping adavanced players would be better to play with. I may not go back if that is the case. however..if the tourney offered "rec" division and let me throw drivers at people persistently violating rules instead of threatening strokes....

Did I mention the payout was kind of odd/not very good? I would love to see the tourney financials. I think if I ever turn td i would do it brandon style- club bucks and cash, fast and neat, you get what you want. Old t-shirts are not payouts, they are ring of fire gags. I don't pass off old run shirts as schwag at fun runs I direct. they are draw prizes or gag gifts.

On another note I guess the realignment of the ratings/categories has messed up other people too. 30 of 34 of the advanced players could have played intermediate according to their ratings. so that would have made things interesting.
4 open players could have played intermediate!
only 7 of 21 players were truly rated open (970+)

The division splits at higher strata seem to favor areas with higher concentrations of really good players, i.e. not the rockies. I haven't even seen a tourney offer the 2 lowest divisions,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Let's Get Together All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: