6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 1 2 3
Home
Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
Disc Golf Idaho!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2008 Elections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: 2008 Elections Reply with quote

I just wanted to ge tsomething going in the lines of nominations or interest in particular positions within the club. In the past we have generally been functioning with a:
President
Treasurer
I would like to think we need a few more positions such as a:
Vice President
Tournament Manager
Membership Manager
etc...

I am looking for this to essentially be a ?'s and answers from individuals who's names appear in the forums somewhere. I think it would be great if we could find individuals who want to get the club going again and are extremely enthusiastic for disc golf in the upcoming years.

This being some of the criteria I don't think that nominations should necessarily be made public, so I think we should establish someone who could be a moderator and accespt nominations and then keep the site up to date with the nominations and reason for the nomination. The moderator could then post this information to the website and the nominee could respond.

Since I do not want to make a suggestion and then pass on the responsibility to someone else I will be the moderator unless someone else has a dying erge to do so. Send me the names and positions for nomination and I will post them here. This will have to be done relatively quick as I think we will have a club meeting in December to actually cast votes. Here are some possible names:

Brandon
Lance
Kerry
Mark
Brad D.
Troy
John B.
John J. (current treasurer)
etc...
you can send me a private message if you would like with the nominations.

Thanks for your participation.

Caleb Wolfe
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot Caleb Wolfe in your list there boyo. =)
ScottW

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Rumor Mill Reply with quote

I hate to be the one who starts nasty rumors but I have heard (from the horses mouth) that one of the aforementioned nominees is hanging up the golf discs for golf clubs Wink I think this person needs to reconsider and take over one of these coveted and valuable positions. Plus, who plays ball golf any more anyway Question
mook

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respectfully remove my name from the list of nominations. I will continue to provide competitive events for the club in the form of the Monthly Series, Ross Park Evening League, and the Halloween Haunt. I can be the competitive director for the club as long as it does not extend beyond the duties I listed. I would, though, like 5-10 minutes at the club meeting to coordinate dates for these events.
fiya79

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Mook for competitive director! Reply with quote

I think Brandon is already doing the job in fine style. Besides, the newspaper bestowed a title on him so it must be true.
I can't imagine asking him to do more than he does already.

If john is willing to continue taking my money that would be awesome. Even if the books aren't 100% square, close really counts here. If I had all of those discs at my house I would have to take out a second mortgage to pay off my disc debt. If John is burned out I don't see anyone on the list trustworthy enough to do the job. We may have to close up shop.

What would a membership manager do? is there really that much work?.

As for president....??? I think I will make that nomination anon. It should maybe be someone who knows IF and poky well.... maybe travels to both frequently... maybe someone with a graduate degree in case some legal issues arise...
kerry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nominate Lance on his platform to put in alt tees at Ross and 2 18 hole courses at Mink Creek to host an A tier tourny in 2009.
cwolfe
Local Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update, I have not received any private nominations for any positions. I do want to add a couple of things and make some responses.

I am sure that I have left out some people so please feel free to submit names that are not included here.

One more name to consider would be James L.

I also want to comment on membership manager's role. This was just a thought of having someone in charge of generating more memberships from people who are playing disc golf. This may include finding people to put on clinics, or running a club free tourny. It would mean keeping track of the memberships and sending out renewal notices.

My point in creating different roles is so that nobody gets burnt out so quickly. If we have a lot of envolvement from different people then it may not be as hard and may lead to a more productive club.

Thanks,

Caleb

Caleb Wolfe
mook

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can all agree that the club can do more than what has been done the past few years, but I cannot stress enough that it will not matter who is president and treasurer if there is not a supporting cast to help contribute to the benefit of the club and disc golf in Southeast Idaho. I don't support anyone as an officer who plans on phasing him or herself out of discgolf in the future. Now, I also don't support any situation that elects a officer into the club only to maintain a pile of discs and membership fees. Granted, I do believe that Steve and John have done more than that, but I also believe that based on the previous posts that there is a strong desire for more than whats been done.

We have a huge increase of new and developing players in the area with the addition of the Ross Park course. We need everyone's help to develop those players and this area into a disc golf community we can all be proud of, whether or not you are interested in casual or competitive play.

The names that have previously been listed have been listed for a reason. You are all main contributers to disc golf in this area. Whether or not you are willing to be a leader in the club, we need your supporting help with disc golf. Please consider the best way that you can help in 2008, bring it to the club meeting in December, and lets get the ball rolling.
ScottW

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Many Hands Make Light Work Reply with quote

Sorry for always bringing my comparisons back to Missoula but I think one of the reasons the Garden City Flyers Disc Golf Club of Missoula works so well is because they do so much club promotion and they do everything they can to include everyone who wants to be involved with the club. Starting from the top our club president Brian Bjortomt eats, sleeps, breaths, and whatever else's disc golf, his passion for disc golf is something else. We also have a vice president, secretary and treasurer for the club as well, all of who collaborate to get feedback from members than make decisions that are best for the club AND the sport. Sure, we have our in-fighting and we are not all best friends - our VP going into this year was given the section 10 heave-hoe and was voted out and replaced by a former VP who is now showing that he really doesn't want the position because he won't put any time into it. Anyway, we have had a lot of club members leave the area/state but many are still active club members. We have members all over the Inland and Pacific Northwest including members of the Mile High Disc Golf Club out of Denver and even guys who stay active in North Carolina. We have out of state clubs who support us and we return the favor by doing the same. It is not uncommon here for people to be members of the GCF in Missoula, the Sleeping Giant Disc Golf Alliance in Helena, the Headwaters DG Club in Bozeman, the Airfairways DG Club of Billings, the Spokane DG Association, the Mile High Disc Golf Club, and soon the North Idaho Recreators DG Club of the Coeur d'Alene area. I think that the PVDGC needs to get its name out to other clubs to try to recruit outside interest and to try to work with those clubs to recruit players to come down to play events put on in the area. I try like heck to get the word out about the PVDGC here in Missoula but people here are probably sick of hearing my voice. If some locals from down there showed some interest in their own area and promoted it here and elsewhere maybe that would help draw outsiders.

I know the lack of club activity that I witnessed during the year that I lived down there was incredible. The club was almost non-existent and I really didn't start meeting people until I was getting ready to leave. I would probably be a life-time member if there had been more activity when I was there, perhaps I will consider joining next year just for financial support.

I also think that the weekly club-sponsored bag tags help create a huge interest here. Word of mouth in Missoula leads to about 100 active club members each year and this club does such great things that I will probably maintain a yearly membership even after I move out of Missoula. The bag-tags are club advertisement in themselves. Having 100 or so GCF bag tags out about town and the area helps to promote the club. I think the weekly leagues that have been run in years past should have the club's name associated with it. Maybe the club should have a local events coordinator who just does local stuff, like weekly leagues, to drum up local interest. Maybe Brandon would be comfortable with associating himself with the club in that regard. Have the PVDGC Ross Park Weekly League instead of Mook's Ross Park Weekly League (no offense Brandon); just get the club's name out there. Get more club merchandise. Maybe include a Club-stamped disc with membership, maybe have the club purchase towels and stickers and shirts and patches to promote itself. We have an Eagle Club Membership which includes a nice hooded GCF sweatshirt and a bunch of other club related stuff. I have been meaning to get a club patch to sew onto my bag and a club sticker to slap on my truck. The more the better. Maybe a club position for promotional coordinator who main responsibility is getting the club?s name and local events and tourneys posted and advertised on other club?s website and at courses throughout the area. Just my 2 cents.
mook

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After talking to my wife. I would like to go ahead and resubmit myself as a nonimation for President. I thought about this long and came to the conclusion that, with no disrespect to anyone else, I have more drive for disc golf in the area than anyone. There is nothing more I would rather do (outside my home) than push Southeast Idaho disc golf to the next level. It is eating my alive that we haven't had a formal club meeting for 14 months!

I admit that in my previous tenure as President that I went too gung ho and have learned from my mistakes. My main goals this year would be to.

1. Continue the efforts of the Southeast Idaho Monthly Series, Ross Park League, and the Halloween Haunt.
2. Continue to represent Southeast Idaho at many Utah and Idaho PDGA events, especially the Snake River Series.
3. Schedule a summer and winter club meeting WELL in advance.
4. With help, design and install the Massacre Rocks Disc Golf Course.
5. Increase awareness of the PVDGC.

I would beg Steve and John to please schedule an elections meeting quickly so that we can GET THE BALL ROLLING! As I said previously, I would be glad to hold the meeting at my house if you are needing a place to hold it.
ScottW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to hear that you are running for club Pres. I agree with everything you said in your last post and think you will be an excellent (if not the best) candidate for the position. I thought you did great things for the sport as a whole and for the sport locally when I lived there and am glad to hear that you want to do better. If I had a vote I would vote for you, good luck and best of luck with all club endeavors this year. Even if you don't take over the presidency keep doing what you are doing because you are making disc golf in SE Idaho much better. It would be great if some of you guys could come up to north Idaho or western Montana this year for some tourneys. I'll post more info. on local tourneys in another thread.

Don't forget about Bengal Ridge though, it's a true gem Very Happy
pole vaulter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Caleb for putting my name up, but i am going to have to pull my name from the nominations. Since i am going back to CA for the summer i think it would be impossible for me to do the job as well as it should be done. i will be back in the fall, so if the pres needs any help i'll be available then.

-James L.
fiya79

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: brandon is it. let's hold elections soon. Reply with quote

Brandon is the obvious choice. he has the drive, he has passion, he is running on the change platform. Wait, maybe I'm thinking of Obama.
Either way. vote for him.

How about a meeting at my house soon. How about the evening after the ice bowl? the 16th 5pm?

This message paid for by Brandon for president, Lance Clark treasurer.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Election day is set Reply with quote

Announcement

The 2007 annual December meeting of the Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club
will (finally) be held at 7:00 p.m. on February 28, 2008, at the
Newberry Building in Pocatello. Pizza and drinks will be served free of
charge. Families are welcome.

The Newberry Building is located at 150-190 North Main Street in
downtown Pocatello, Idaho. The most convenient and spacious parking is
found just East of the building in what is often called "Union Pacific"
or "railroad" parking lot. The meeting is upstairs in the conference
facilities (second floor). The entrance for and stairs to the
conference facilities is on the Northeast corner of the building, facing
East.

The club is badly in need of new leadership to carry it into the
future. Of primary import will be the election of new officers, at
least a President and a Treasurer. The new officers must be more
available than I have been this year in order for the club to function
properly. As proven by the lack of activity this year, it is paramount
that we elect someone genuinely interested in and available for the job
of leading the club. All 2007 or 2008 voting members will be eligible
to vote. Any person may become a voting member at the meeting by paying
$10 dues for 2008. The rules of the voting are set forth in the club
bylaws and will guide that portion of the program.

The club is inactive, but solvent. The new officers will receive an
organization that is financially healthy with a good inventory of
merchandise and established relationships with DG vendors.

The agenda for the meeting will include brief officer reports and league
business, followed by elections. The remainder of the meeting will be
conducted by the new officers, who will initiate the remaining agenda.
For questions, contact Steve Larsen 317-6667 or John Jemmett 226-4114
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Portneuf Valley Disc Golf Club Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: